A lot of people dream of travelling to exotic locales and exploring new and exciting places. Australia is the perfect place to live out these dreams, with so many different facets to explore, from global cities to sandy deserts, to beaches to rainforests, Australia has a bit of everything. Once people get there, travelling by road is the best way to take in all the sights and scenes, whether it be through the country’s red centre or by taking one of the famous coastal roads. Campervan hire is a good way to do this exploring – and cheap. With a little preparation and planning, I’ve never known anyone to regret taking a camper out on the road. That being said, here are a few tips to keep in mind to make a trip across this wonderful continent a memorable one for the right reasons:
1. Driving: People drive on the left in Australia.
2. How to buy fuel for the camper: Diesel or petrol is sold in litres. So check and factor in fuel prices to avoid undue surprises. Prices generally tend to be higher during peak tourist season due to higher demand.
3. Driving Speeds: Check the posted signs for speed limits while driving. Cameras are widely used and speeding tickets can cause issues, anywhere. It is also mandatory to wear seatbelts. If you see a sign in remote areas with a sideways figure eight, there are no speed limits, but keep in mind that it is easy to loose focus and drift off the road over long stretches of empty road, and there have been a number of fatalities related to these two factors.
4. Drivers Licence Requirements: It is a good idea to get an international drivers licence, especially if your original license is not issued in English.
5. Minimum Rental Period: The minimum is generally 5 days – during major holidays, it gets extended to 7 – 10 days, depending on the company. One way rentals can also be done – talk to a representative at the rental company to make sure that all bases are covered.
6. Type of Vehicle: Depending on the activities you want to do, look for a 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive. Also make sure that you get the right kind of car – automatic transmission or manual.
7. Daily Rates: Most car rentals are done on a 24 hour basis. Ask and sign up for the best deals.
8. Long Term Rentals: An early booking for an extended period of time – say over 50 or 60 days – will fetch excellent prices and discounts. This will play a big part in the vacation plan.
9. Inclusions in the package: Most camper vans come equipped with all the comforts of home – showers, stoves, crockery, refrigerators etc. Make sure to rent the most appropriate van to make the trip as comfortable as possible.
10. Exploring New Places: Rental companies will be able to give you great advice on routes to take, sightseeing and also campgrounds if you are interested. It pays to check before getting on the road to have a smooth trip.
11. Emergency Services: Most rental companies offer 24 hour assistance – just in case of a break down or other incidents. Sign up for the facility and keep numbers handy.
12. Websites: All of the camper rental companies offer discounts for credit card usage for booking. Check on that too, to get good prices.
With all the above information in mind you’re on your way to planning a great vacation. So go get in touch with your camper dealer today, and get planning for the vacation of a lifetime!